BEST OF: IDYLLWILD THINGS TO-DO
SHOP, HIKE, BIKE, BE WELL!
This is a list of our favorite shops, hikes, wellness activities, and things to do around Idyllwild.
Planning a SPECIAL EVENT like an anniversary, elopement or engagement? Scroll down to the bottom for a list of local photographers, florists, caterers, and more.
RELAXING THINGS TO DO
- BOOK A ONE-OF-A-KIND TOUR with our friend Steven at "Idyllwild Experience"! We usually hate tours - but Steven's are really small groups, and he's a wealth of information. We recommend his "historic" tour.
- Check out LIVE MUSIC at some of our favorite spots: Ferro, Middle Ridge Winery, The Rustic Theater or the middle of town at Idyll-A-While Bistro. Idyllwild is a famously musical town!
- Check out the IDYLLWILD ARTS ACADEMY PERFORMANCE calendar - the students are so talented, and visiting professors often perform. Idyllwild Arts is one of the 2 most elite arts academies in the entire United States, boasting the most talented students from across the globe. Music, Art, Dance, Theater - they do it all! Virtual Performances during Covid, in-person performances will open again post-covid.
- SUNSET AT INSPIRATION POINT (pictured above) - bring a blanket or camp chairs and stay well past sunset for stargazing, especially impressive on a New Moon! Put this address in your phone, and it will take you to the end of Double View Dr where the lookout point is: 52838 Double View Dr.
- STARGAZING AT HOME - we have plenty of opportunities for stargazing just outside your door. Outdoor chairs are lightweight and moveable, so you can find the perfect spot for stargazing.
- BIRDWATCHING - the space is equipped with binoculars for your use - what a relaxing pastime!
- Visit the IDYLLWILD NATURE CENTER
- Visit our local FARMER'S MARKET on Sundays at the Idyllwild Town Hall: 25925 Cedar St. 9am-2pm
- WINE TASTING at THE WINE FINCH and/or MIDDLE RIDGE WINERY. Middle Ridge specializes in locally crafted wine + live music, while The Wine Finch specializes in organic, biodynamic wines - don't miss their vinyl nights every other Thursday! Check Instagram for a schedule @thewinefinch
- CATCH A FLICK at our historic Rustic Theatre. Cozy up in super comfy extra large seats and sip on a selection of beer or wine while you watch! They also have cocktails, Micheladas, Loaded Icees (whaaaaaat?!) and Hard Kombucha. It's a pretty rad place.
- WALK TO ALPACA COFFEE & TEA and/or MILE HIGH CAFE - just a short 10 minute walk.
- WALK TO TOWN: see house manual for instructions from your address
- INSTAGRAMMABLE VISTAS: Inspiration Point, Lake Fulmor, Black Mountain Lookout - this is also a great sunset spot!
MADE IN IDYLLWILD SHOPPING
- VILLAGE LANE - this is a small shopping enclave next to Stevie's Hungry Habit. Featuring Ajaba Naturals (the sweetest people, tell them we sent you!), Hunkie Dory Records, and Idy's Antique's and Uniques. A really fun bunch of shops run by cool people.
- OAKWOOD VILLAGE: a storybook style enclave of beautiful shops and services, including WILDLAND our very own brick n' mortar shop, nestled in the pines in a historic 1930's A-Frame - specializing in mindful, minimalist offerings for Body, Home, and Being. WAX APOTHECARY candle shop, BLACK MOUNTAIN COFFEE, & ART OF WELLNESS (hair, nails, massage, reflexology & tarot) are also located in this quaint shopping village. Interested in potentially buying your dream cabin? IDY TOWN REAL ESTATE is there too! 54425 N. Circle Dr. Idyllwild, CA 92549 All dog friendly! Also, SPEAKEASY BOOKS opened recently and is located just behind Oakwood Village at 54445 N. Circle Dr. Idyllwild CA. Along with their usual hours, they are open every full moon 8pm - midnight.
- VINTAGE: Wild Idy & Ephemera
- ANTIQUES: Fern Valley Emporium, Idy's Antiques and Uniques, and for a uniquely Idyll-WILD experience, visit the Funky Bazaar and request the "full tour" from the eclectic owner, you won't be disappointed.
- MOUNTAIN POTTERY: local, handcrafted pottery shop & classes! Not to be missed - a truly lovely experience, run by the loveliest of people.
- IDYLLWILD GARDENS - an absolute EDEN! Outdoor shopping - a lovely plant nursery + home goods, picnic supplies, and decor.
1. Spend an afternoon lounging at nearby LAKE FULMOR - it's the perfect leisurely hang-out spot for reading, picnicking, and fishing. Approximately 20min drive from town.
2. LAKE HEMET is the perfect destination for more active water sports, kayaking, boat rental, BBQ pits, & fishing. Approximately 20 min drive from town in the opposite direction of Lake Fulmor.
3. HURKEY CREEK is also wonderful water medicine during the seasons the creek is running - call the campground for creek conditions. Closer than Lake Hemet, and lots of fun for the kids - there's also a campground with a playground nearby.
1. ROCK CLIMBING: (Traitor Horn pictured above) did you know Idyllwild is one of the PREMIERE places to rock climb in all of California?
3. HIKING: see below for a full section on hikes
YOGA, MASSAGE, WELLNESS
PHAROS ATHLETIC CLUB: Offering day passes for visitors - this is the new mountain outpost of the celebrated "Pharos Athletic Club" in Echo Park Los Angeles. A true Idyllwild gem, with a community feel and the biggest hearted owners you'll ever meet, Emylee + Pieter. You can feel their passion for fitness & community the minute you walk in the door - and the GORGEOUS state of the art equipment is amazing as well!
LILI CHARMOZ of LALITANAND YOGA : Offering Thai Massage, Thai Yoga Body Work, Mat Yoga, and Arial Yoga - she is a gem of a person and such a talented and passionate teacher!
KEELY TAYLOR BODY WORK: specializing in therapeutic body work, acupuncture, and herbal medicine - she is often booked solid, so schedule well in advance.
TAWNY HARRINGTON MOBILE MASSAGE: specializing in intuitive massage - including sound healing and aromatics - she will come to you! A super rad chic and friend of ours.
IDYLLWILD MOBILE MASSAGE: specializing in massage for relaxation and stress reduction, featuring hot stone massage and CBD infused massage upon request. As the name suggests, she will come to your cabin.
SAOIRSE FAE ENERGY & BODYWORK: specializing in chronic pain conditions and energetic massage. Located in Oakwood Village
*FREE* COMMUNITY YOGA taught by our friend Juliana Sanfelici pictured above. Message Juliana on Instagram to confirm there is a class during your stay, she's a busy working mama and the class schedule changes: Instagram @ju_sanfelici Fun Fact: Juliana helped BUILD the "Be Well Yurt" on our property!
KYURI YOGA: specializing in yin/yang and yoga therapy for chronic pain/stress, anxiety, depression visit her Instagram for an updated schedule. She is available for private lessons as well.
RENA MAY YOGA: a gifted and intuitive teacher - slow and airy classes - mindful and welcoming. You will feel better just being in her presence - truly! Check out her class schedule on Facebook here, or by messaging her on Instagram. Fun Fact: she also works with us at the WILDLAND shop!
TRINE: a healing goddess of many modalities. From yoga, to breathwork, and beyond - message her for a schedule and menu of offerings.
ENTER SERENITY: a new yoga studio... schedule changes, check out their Facebook page or drop by their location upstairs in "The Fort" (the big brown building in the center of town) for a schedule. 54225 north circle drive unit #1 Idyllwild CA 92549
IDYLLWILD COMMUNITY ACUPUNCTURE: The OG acupuncturist in town - Miles will do wonders for you body and soul. His wife specializes in Feldenkrais movement/healing method.
HIKES, HIKES, AND MORE HIKES!
***ADVENTURE PASS REQUIRED FOR HIKING***
$5/day, can be purchased at the San Jacinto Ranger Station Forest Service Office: 54270 Pine Crest Ave, Idyllwild, CA 92549 Phone: (909) 382-2921
- Adventure Passes can also be purchased at most of the local gas stations, as well as Nomad Ventures: 54415 N Circle Dr, Idyllwild CA
1. ERNIE MAXWELL: (google map location link) An 8.0 kilometer scenic trail that features beautiful wildflowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail ascends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Distance: 5 miles Elevation: 859 ft Route Type: Out & Back. Dog Friendly on-leash.
2. IDYLLWILD PARK: (google map location link) a perfect destination for many skill levels, described below. Dog friendly on-leash. WALKING DISTANCE from our Yurt and Retreat Space properties. (If you walk, you don't need an adventure pass for parking)
Paved Road: Easy, relaxing stroll through the county campgrounds. Several tables and open grassy areas to enjoy a picnic or simply relax with a book can be found throughout the road (unless they are already taken or reserved). You will find a lightweight travel cooler in the linen closet if you would like to bring snacks or beverages with you on your walk.
“HILLSIDE Trail”: Easy to moderate hike, depending on your athletic level. Just enough elevation to get your heart rate going, lovely views to enjoy, and boulders to climb. Walk as far as you’d like and turn around, or keep going for a “loop”. If you are interested in details on the 2 mile loop, look up “Idyllwild Park Trail” on AllTrails.com
“SUMMIT Trail”: Moderate to intense hike - significant ELEVATION gain for the average person. If you’re in great shape, this will be easy for you… but if not, stick to Hillside unless you’re down for a challenge.
3. DEVIL'S SLIDE: (google map location link) There are several ways to access Devil’s Slide. Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail is a 6.9 mile trail that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate to intense based on skill level. Dog Friendly on leash. Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation: 1840 ft Route Type: Out & Back
4. BLACK MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT: (google map location link) Black Mountain Lookout is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
5. Looking for even more of a challenge or easy alternatives? Visit https://idyllwildcalifornia.com/hiking/ for plenty of ideas for all skill levels!
SPECIAL EVENT RESOURCES
Photographers: what a better way to commemorate your Idyllwild experience!
- Amber Linn Jordan Photography - specializing in Weddings, Engagements, and Family Sessions - Mini sessions available!
- Bella Gioelli of We've Become Photography - specializing in Weddings, Engagements, Family Sessions, and Women's Empowerment Portraits
- Amanda of Strikly Photography - specializing in Newborn, Family, and Pet photography
Cakes & Catering:
- Sunflower Bakery : Full-service special event catering from appetizers to lunch/dinner and desserts of all kinds including wedding and special occasion cakes. Also has a Cabin Catering menu for lunch and dinner delivery.
- Mom Made Reservations: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in 4 course Family Style dinners delivered to your cabin - this is a highly recommended experience!
- Pickle n' Pie: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in classic Canadian Butter Tarts, seasonal pies, breads and cookies. Made to order and ready for pickup or delivery in less than 24 hours (or in many cases, same day)! Some items available vegan or gluten-free! How to Order: Order online pickleandpieIDY.com/shop or text or call 424-543-4354. Use code guest15 at checkout to save 15%.
- Mama Jamie's Kitchen: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in custom cakes, breads, and treats of all sorts. Accepts custom requests for baking pretty much anything, just contact her at least a week in advance. 48 hours notice might be ok for more simple requests. 951-206-3786
- La Esquina Argentina Bakery: COTTAGE CHEF - sweetest lady, and so talented! Specializing in edible art out of fondant - perfect for birthdays and special events.
Oh you KNOW we have a whole other list for COFFEE, FOOD, & LIBATIONS! Check it out by clicking here.
We hope this helps you plan a truly magical stay in Idyllwild!
We hope this helps you plan a truly magical stay in Idyllwild!
Love, Marisa & Daane