SHOP, HIKE, BIKE, BE WELL!
RELAXING THINGS TO DO
- Check out LIVE MUSIC at some of our favorite spots: Ferro, Middle Ridge Winery, The Rustic Theater or the middle of town at Idyll-A-While Bistro. Idyllwild is a famously musical town!
- Check out the IDYLLWILD ARTS ACADEMY PERFORMANCE calendar - the students are so talented, and visiting professors often perform. Idyllwild Arts is one of the 2 most elite arts academies in the entire United States, boasting the most talented students from across the globe. Music, Art, Dance, Theater - they do it all! Virtual Performances during Covid, in-person performances will open again post-covid.
Did you know the Mayor of Idyllwild is a DOG? Not any dog... Mayor Max the famous Golden Retriever can often be seen around town greeting his constituents and visitors... you can visit his Facebook Page or his Website to ask about his schedule if you wanna be sure not to miss him!
Animal Lovers will also not want to miss a visit to LIVING FREE ANIMAL SANCTUARY. Spend the afternoon playing with pups & kitties who have been rescued from death row at kill shelters, and have a forever home at the sanctuary. They are all available for adoption, since every animal adopted creates space for another to be rescued and live out their lives in paradise. Be sure to stop on by and play awhile - these lucky fur-babies love to show travelers how magical their home is!
- SUNSET & STARGAZING AT INDIAN VISTA OVERLOOK - known for it's striking vistas and ginormous boulders. Bring a blanket or camp chairs and stay well past sunset for stargazing, especially impressive on a New Moon!
- BIRDWATCHING & NATURE ACTIVITIES at the IDYLLWILD NATURE CENTER
- Visit our local FARMER'S MARKET on Sundays at the Idyllwild Town Hall: 25925 Cedar St. 9am-2pm
- WINE TASTING at THE WINE FINCH and/or MIDDLE RIDGE WINERY. Middle Ridge specializes in locally crafted wine + live music, while The Wine Finch specializes in organic, biodynamic wines - don't miss their vinyl nights every other Thursday! Check Instagram for a schedule @thewinefinch
- CATCH A FLICK at our historic Rustic Theatre. Cozy up in super comfy extra large seats and sip on a selection of beer and wine while you watch! They also have cocktails, Micheladas, Loaded Icees (whaaaaaat?!) and Hard Kombucha. It's a pretty rad place.
BOOK A ONE-OF-A-KIND TOUR with Steven at "Idyllwild Experience"! We usually hate tours - but Steven's are really small groups, and he's a wealth of information plus so fun to hang out with. We recommend his "historic" tour - Idyllwild has a fascinating history!
Speaking of history, check out the Idyllwild Historical Museum for even more details about the storied history of Idyllwild and the San Jacinto Mountains through the years.
- INSTAGRAMMABLE VISTAS: Indian Vista Overlook, Lake Fulmor, Black Mountain Lookout - this is also a great sunset spot!
MADE IN IDYLLWILD SHOPPING
- VILLAGE LANE - this is a small shopping enclave next to Stevie's Hungry Habit. Featuring Ajaba Naturals, Hunkie Dory Records, and Idy's Antique's and Uniques. A really fun bunch of shops run by cool people.
- OAKWOOD VILLAGE: a pet-friendly, storybook style enclave of beautiful local shops and wellness services, including WILDLAND (pictured above) specializing in mindful, minimalist offerings for Body, Home, and Being... WAX APOTHECARY artisanal candle shop, locally roasted BLACK MOUNTAIN COFFEE, ART OF WELLNESS (hair, nails, massage, reflexology & tarot), and PILATES IN THE PINES (specializing in small group and private classes) - ALL located in this quaint shopping village. Interested in potentially buying your dream cabin? IDY TOWN REAL ESTATE is there too! 54425 N. Circle Dr. Idyllwild, CA 92549 In exciting news, SPEAKEASY BOOKS opened recently and is located just behind Oakwood Village at 54445 N. Circle Dr. Idyllwild CA. Along with their usual hours, they are open every full moon 8pm - midnight.
- VINTAGE: Wild Idy & Ephemera
- ANTIQUES: Fern Valley Emporium, Idy's Antiques and Uniques, Rustic Sunrise and for a uniquely Idyll-WILD experience, visit the Funky Bazaar and request the "full tour" from the eclectic owner, you won't be disappointed.
- MOUNTAIN POTTERY: local, handcrafted pottery shop & classes! Not to be missed - a truly lovely experience, run by the loveliest of people.
- MOUNTAIN MIKES: a true IdyllWILD experience and every mountain man's dream! Custom leather accessories, belts, hats, knives, you name it - plus he has plenty of offerings for mountain mamas as well!
- IDYLLWILD GARDENS - an absolute EDEN! Outdoor shopping - a lovely plant nursery + home goods, picnic supplies, and decor.
1. Spend an afternoon lounging at nearby LAKE FULMOR (pictured above) - it's the perfect leisurely hang-out spot for reading, picnicking, and fishing. Approximately 20min drive from town.
2. LAKE HEMET is the perfect destination for more active water sports, kayaking, boat rental, BBQ pits, & fishing. Approximately 20 min drive from town in the opposite direction of Lake Fulmor.
3. HURKEY CREEK is also wonderful water medicine during the seasons the creek is running - call the campground for creek conditions. Closer than Lake Hemet, and lots of fun for the kids - there's also a campground with a playground nearby.
2. MOUNTAIN BIKING: Idyllwild is also famous for it's gorgeous year-round biking trails. Get more info on specific Idyllwild trails here, or stop into Nomad Ventures for some in-person tips on the best Idyllwild has to offer.
3. HIKING: see below for a full section on hikes
YOGA, MASSAGE, WELLNESS
PHAROS ATHLETIC CLUB: Offering day passes for visitors - this is the new mountain outpost of the celebrated "Pharos Athletic Club" in Echo Park Los Angeles. A true Idyllwild gem, with a community feel and the biggest hearted owners you'll ever meet, Emylee + Pieter. You can feel their passion for fitness & community the minute you walk in the door - and the GORGEOUS state of the art equipment is amazing as well!
IDYLLWILD COMMUNITY ACUPUNCTURE: The OG acupuncturist, and a beloved healer in town - Miles will do wonders for you body and soul. Make it a wellness weekend by booking a Feldenkrais or Craniosacral session in the studio above with his wife of MOVING LIVELY.
LILI CHARMOZ of LALITANAND YOGA : Offering Thai Massage, Thai Yoga Body Work, Mat Yoga, and Arial Yoga - she is a gem of a person and such a talented and passionate teacher!
KEELY TAYLOR BODY WORK: specializing in therapeutic body work, acupuncture, and herbal medicine - she is often booked solid, so schedule well in advance.
TAWNY HARRINGTON MOBILE MASSAGE: specializing in intuitive massage - including sound healing and aromatics - she will come to you!
IDYLLWILD MOBILE MASSAGE specializing in massage for relaxation and stress reduction, featuring hot stone massage and CBD infused massage upon request. As the name suggests, she will come to your cabin.
SAOIRSE FAE ENERGY & BODYWORK: specializing in chronic pain conditions and energetic massage. Located in Oakwood Village
MOVING LIVELY: Offering Pilates, Feldenkrais, Craniosacral and Occupational Therapy. Craniosacral & Feldenkrais body work are particularly impactful for those suffering from chronic pain and recovery from cancer and other illnesses. Located above Idyllwild Community Acupuncture.
*FREE* COMMUNITY YOGA taught by Juliana Sanfelici (pictured above). Message Juliana on Instagram to confirm there is a class during your stay, she's a busy working mama and the class schedule changes: Instagram @ju_sanfelici
PRESENT & POSITIVE: a retreat center and community space offering a variety of classes, workshops, retreats and session work to the local and global community. A registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and operate entirely on a donation-based system. Click here for a calendar of classes and events.
OM SWEET AUM: Yoga shala offering a variety of yoga, pilates, and other wellness activities. Operating since 1992, Om Sweet Aum has been bringing peace and calm to the mountain for decades.
KYURI YOGA: specializing in yin/yang and yoga therapy for chronic pain/stress, anxiety, depression visit her Instagram for an updated schedule. She is available for private lessons as well.
RENA MAY YOGA: a gifted and intuitive teacher - slow and airy classes - mindful and welcoming. You will feel better just being in her presence - truly! Check out her class schedule on Facebook here, or by messaging her on Instagram. Fun Fact: she also works at the WILDLAND shop!
TRINE: a healing goddess of many modalities. From yoga, to breathwork, and beyond - message her for a schedule and menu of offerings.
ENTER SERENITY: a new yoga studio... schedule changes, check out their Facebook page or drop by their location upstairs in "The Fort" (the big brown building in the center of town) for a schedule. 54225 north circle drive unit #1 Idyllwild CA 92549
HIKES, HIKES, AND MORE HIKES!
- Adventure Passes can also be purchased at most of the local gas stations, as well as Nomad Ventures: 54415 N Circle Dr, Idyllwild CA
1. ERNIE MAXWELL: (google map location link) An 8.0 kilometer scenic trail that features beautiful wildflowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail ascends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came. Distance: 5 miles Elevation: 859 ft Route Type: Out & Back. Dog Friendly on-leash.
Paved Road: Easy, relaxing stroll through the county campgrounds. Several tables and open grassy areas to enjoy a picnic or simply relax with a book can be found throughout the road (unless they are already taken or reserved). You will find a lightweight travel cooler in the linen closet if you would like to bring snacks or beverages with you on your walk.
“HILLSIDE Trail”: Easy to moderate hike, depending on your athletic level. Just enough elevation to get your heart rate going, lovely views to enjoy, and boulders to climb. Walk as far as you’d like and turn around, or keep going for a “loop”. If you are interested in details on the 2 mile loop, look up “Idyllwild Park Trail” on AllTrails.com
“SUMMIT Trail”: Moderate to intense hike - significant ELEVATION gain for the average person. If you’re in great shape, this will be easy for you… but if not, stick to Hillside unless you’re down for a challenge.
3. DEVIL'S SLIDE: (google map location link) There are several ways to access Devil’s Slide. Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail is a 6.9 mile trail that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate to intense based on skill level. Dog Friendly on leash. Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation: 1840 ft Route Type: Out & Back
4. BLACK MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT: (google map location link) Black Mountain Lookout is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
SPECIAL EVENT RESOURCES
Photographers: what a better way to commemorate your Idyllwild experience!
- Bella Gioelli of We've Become Photography - specializing in Weddings, Engagements, Family Sessions, and Women's Empowerment Portraits
- Amanda of Strikly Photography - specializing in Newborn, Family, and Pet photography
- Jamie - specializing in Vacation Memories, Family Sessions, Engagements, and Boudoir
Cakes & Catering:
- Sunflower Bakery : Full-service special event catering from appetizers to lunch/dinner and desserts of all kinds including wedding and special occasion cakes. Also has a Cabin Catering menu for lunch and dinner delivery.
- Mom Made Reservations: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in 4 course Family Style dinners delivered to your cabin - this is a highly recommended experience!
- Pickle n' Pie: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in classic Canadian Butter Tarts, seasonal pies, breads and cookies. Made to order and ready for pickup or delivery in less than 24 hours (or in many cases, same day)! Some items available vegan or gluten-free! How to Order: Order online pickleandpieIDY.com/shop or text or call 424-543-4354. Use code guest15 at checkout to save 15%.
- Mama Jamie's Kitchen: COTTAGE CHEF specializing in custom cakes, breads, and treats of all sorts. Accepts custom requests for baking pretty much anything, just contact her at least a week in advance. 48 hours notice might be ok for more simple requests. 951-206-3786
- La Esquina Argentina Bakery: COTTAGE CHEF - sweetest lady, and so talented! Specializing in edible art out of fondant - perfect for birthdays and special events.
RESTAURANTS WINE & COFFEE
Oh you KNOW we have a whole other list for COFFEE, FOOD, & LIBATIONS! Check it out by clicking here.
We hope this helps you plan a truly magical stay in Idyllwild!